Since it was established in 2009 and launched on May 24, 2010, as the first phase in the CPO’s cycle of music education, Masidlale and its teachers, mainly musicians formerly in the CPYO who were identified as teachers, have trained several hundred primary school musicians.
Masidlale’s teaching staff
From left: Ash-lee Louwskieter, Siyathemba Nteta, Odile Burden, Thami James, Noluvuyo Maha, Tembisa Ntshongontshi and Monica Dadase
Inset: Community Manager Carol Mduma
Activities take place at three campuses: on the West Coast, at Artscape Theatre Centre and at the Music Academy in Mowbray. Learners perform in their schools and in the community, and in gala performances at the end of the year. Talented students are fast-tracked to the Music Academy.
Masidlale employs seven teachers, including a music theory teacher, and also a Community Arts Worker, responsible for the safety and welfare of the children.
Here’s how you can make a difference!
Help the CPO make a difference in the community
Here are some options for ongoing sponsorship, especially of teachers which also helps support families:
• Use of an instrument, transport, refreshments
R100 per month
• Weekly or one month’s group lessons
R150 / R600
• External exam fees (Theory and Practical)
R1,000 a year
• Music lessons for a year, including transport
• Full sponsorship including lessons, transport, exam fees
• Sponsor a teacher per lesson/week
• Sponsor a public performance and receive recognition
Contact: Suzanne Aucamp
Tel: 021-410 9826 | Email: email@example.com