Izak Grové, the author of these notes, is an emeritus professor for musicology at Stellenbosch University. He received his doctorate from the University of the Free State, and, through a German DAAD scholarship studied at the Friedrich Wilhelms University (Bonn). He is also church organist, and published some chorale preludes, and conducted musicological research on mainly South African music.
These notes, which appear on the CPO website only, are designed to augment those written by Rodney Trudgeon which will continue to appear in the programme.
Summer season 2017
- Tchaikovsky Marche Solonnelle/Rachmaninov Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini/Shostakovich Symphony No. 10 in E minor
Spring Season 2017
- Mozart Overture, Le Nozze di Figaro / Hummel Concerto for Trumpet/Beethoven Symphony No. 3 in E-flat, “Eroica”
Winter Season 2017
- Gershwin An American in Paris; Concerto in F
- Barber Adagio for Strings
- Bernstein Symphonic Dances from West Side Story